Choosing the right type of fence for your farm is crucial for maintaining the safety and health of your livestock. Though barbed wire fences and electric fences are equally popular choices, they each have distinct qualities and characteristics. Understanding these unique qualities will allow you to choose the optimal farm fencing solution for your needs. At Edge Wholesale Direct, we carry a complete selection of farm fencing products. Our experts will work with you to determine the optimal option for your needs, keeping your livestock safe and in good health.
Barbed Wire Fence Qualities
Barbed wire is a versatile fencing option that can be seen on both residential and commercial properties. A barbed wire fence features the following qualities:
- Durability: Barbed wire fences are far more durable than they appear. They are often strong enough to contain large livestock as the animals cannot lift the wooden posts from the ground. These posts and wires last for roughly 10-12 years, ensuring lasting safety.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Due to being made of wire and wooden posts, barbed wire fences are a much more economical choice compared to fencing your entire property with wood planks.
- Easy to Repair and Maintain: Broken wires can be easily replaced as they only need to be stretched over the posts.
- Versatility: Barbed wire fences can be outfitted with different lengths of barbs and at a different distance between posts based on your livestock or potential predators in the area.
Though barbed wire fences are suitable for many farms, they can harm livestock. This can occur if animals brush against the barbs or become entangled in the wires. Reach out to the team at Edge Wholesale Direct to see if this option is right for you.
Electric Fence Qualities
Electric fences are a safe, long-lasting barricade that suits many types of farms and properties. An electric fence features the following qualities:
- Easy Installation: Electric fences do not require posts to be dug into the ground like other types of wire-based fences. They are also easier to move in the event that you need to increase grazing space.
- Enhanced Safety: Though electric fences may sound dangerous, the shocks they emit are not harmful or exceedingly painful. Animals do not rub against electric fences like they do with barbed wire, eliminating cuts and the potential for entanglement. Electric fences are also more effective at keeping predators like coyotes off your property.
- Cost Effectiveness: Much like barbed wire fences, electric fences are a cheaper alternative to plank-based fences.
- Longevity: Most electric fences are rated to last for at least 25 years. They can cost a bit more initially but their longer usable life more than makes up for it.
To learn more about electric fences and barbed wire fences or to see which is right for you, please reach out to the Edge Wholesale Direct team at 604-857-2436.